Malted milk powder was released in America by the Horlick brothers in 1886. These two brothers came from England to create this product. Some of the most popular uses when malt powder debuted was to use it to make “malt loaf,” which is an exclusive English type of bread, as well as chocolate malt cake.
But it’s not the 1800’s anymore. Let’s fast forward to today, where malt powder has been stretched to both sides of the food spectrum to make foods more dynamic and tasty. Let’s take a look at the most popular uses for it, which will hopefully inspire you to try some new malted milk recipes with malt powder in them!
Often, people wonder what “malt” is, and why it’s used mostly in desserts and sweet treats. Malted milk, as quoted on Wikipedia, is:
Malted milk is a powdered gruel made from a mixture of malted barley, wheat flour, and evaporated whole milk. Malt powder comes in two forms: diastatic and nondiastatic.
If you do feel so inclined to try some of the recipes below, you’re going to need some of the good stuff. Here is a link to purchase Soda Fountain Malted Milk Powder.
• • •
- The malt, otherwise known as a milkshake with malted milk powder in it, has been around for so long. You can get a malt almost anywhere that a milkshake is sold. You can get really creative with your malt recipes! Try a classic chocolate malt, and you’ll be one happy camper. An easy way to make your vanilla malt more exciting is to crush up some malted milk balls, popularly known as Whoppers.
- Cookies. Malted milk cookie recipes really aren’t all that different with malt powder, which makes them easy to make and delicious to eat! Here is a chocolate chip recipe for you to try. If you’re feeling bold, try making these crinkle cookies!
- Guess what? Malted chocolate cake is still as relevant today as it was 100+ years ago! Maybe the recipe has changed a bit, but people still love it. Here is a recipe for you to make the timeless dessert! This is a great dessert for any occasion!
- Snacks. It’s great to throw some malted milk powder in a puppy chow recipe to give it some extra flavor, as well as make it with some pretzels and brown sugar to concoct a sweet snack for you and your family. Try and make this sweet and salty snack with this recipe!
- Salad? Yes, salad! This apple snicker malt salad is certain to please your guests and family alike. It is different enough to impress, while being so simple to create ahead of time, to have on hand for unexpected guests.
• • •
Hopefully, these uses of Soda Fountain Malted Milk Powder give you some new ideas for how to use it in your baking!